§ 272. Duties and responsibilities
(a) The duties and responsibilities of the Council shall include but not necessarily be limited to:
(1) advising the Board of Vocational Education in the development of the five-year State Plan for Vocational-Technical Education and in the development of the Annual Program Plan and Accountability Report for Vocational-Technical Education, both of which plans are required under the Federal Act;
(2) designating a member of the Council to participate in the formulation of the five-year State Plan for Vocational-Technical Education;
(3) evaluating career and technical education programs, services and activities assisted under the Federal Act and publishing and distributing the results thereof;
(4) after consultation with the State Manpower Services Council;
(5) advising the Board of Vocational Education on policy matters arising out of the administration of programs addressed in the aforementioned five-year State Plan and Annual Program Plan and Accountability Report;
(6) providing technical assistance requested on the establishment and operation of local advisory councils of the Virgin Islands Department of Education;
(7) preparing and submitting to the United States Commissioner of Education and National Advisory Council on Vocational Education, through the Virgin Islands Board of Career and Technical Education, an annual report that evaluates the effectiveness of career and technical education programs, services and activities under the five-year State Plan and accountability report and that recommends any changes in programs, services and activities considered necessary; and
(b) The Council shall meet within thirty days after certification has been accepted by the United States Commissioner of Education, and shall select from among its membership The Council shall establish rules providing for the time, place and manner of meetings and the general operation of the Council. Such rules shall provide for not less than one public meeting each year at which the public is given an opportunity to express views concerning the career and technical education program of the Territory.
(c) The Council shall be solely responsible for:
(1) the expenditure of Council funds, provided, however, that the Council shall designate an appropriate governmental agency to serve as its fiscal agent for purposes of disbursement, accounting and auditing;
(2) the authorization of all travel, whether local or outside of the Virgin Islands, that is required for carrying out its functions;
—Added Sept. 4, 1973, No. 3471, § 1, Sess. L. 1973, p. 237; amended Sept. 6, 1978, No. 4199, § 1, Sess. L. 1978, p. 217; Oct. 17, 2005, No. 6793, § 5, Sess. L. 2005, p. 354.
Virgin Islands Code Annotated
Copyright © 2020 Office of the Code Revisor, Legislature of the Virgin Islands All rights reserved.